Chip Wilson founded Lululemon Athletica in 1998 in Vancouver, Canada. Its first store was opened in 2000.
The company’s IPO in July 2007 raised $327.6 million by selling 18 million shares. Former Co-President of Starbucks, Christine Day, became CEO in 2008.
In 2013 the company appeared on Fortune’s fastest-growing companies list for the third time. In December, Founder Chip Wilson resigned from his position as Chairman. The president of TOMS shoes, Laurent Potdevin, became CEO. In 2014, Lululemon expanded to Europe, opening a flagship store in Covent Garden, London. Wilson resigned from the Board in 2014
In 2019, Lululemon confirmed an investment in Mirror, a fitness startup selling interactive mirrors with cameras and speakers for home workouts. The company planned to create new content, including meditation classes, but in 2020 Lululemon acquired the company.
Lululemon specializes in athletic apparel such as yoga pants, shorts, undergarments, etc. In addition to this, they provide yoga mats, water bottles, hair accessories, bags, and personal care items. Lululemon trademarked its Luon fabric, including a higher than usual amount of nylon microfiber. Since then, the company has made an array of compression and moisture-wicking fabric designs. Lululemon is mainly well known for its leggings.
Lululemon keeps a research/development lab in its headquarters; its new brand launched in 2019 (Lab) competing with other athletic wear sellers such as Nike and Under Armour.
Famous Lululemon Athletica trademarks
Having been in business for over 20 years, it won’t be surprising to learn that they’ve amassed a fair bit of intellectual property. Let’s look at the registered trademarks owned by Lululemon Athletica Canada Inc.
The Lululemon logo, consisting of ‘Lululemon’ in stylized font beside a wave design, was registered in 2019. The trademark application was filed in several categories, including:
- Pouches, fanny packs, handbags, messenger bags, cosmetic bags, and other bags
- Clothing, including T-shirts, bras, headwear, leggings, leotards, sweaters, undergarments, ear muffs, etc.
- Yoga mats and accessories including bags for yoga mats, towels, and blankets
- Yoga blocks, bolsters, straps
- Electronic fitness watches
- Retail store services specializing in yoga, athletic accessories, and more
- Promoting the special events of others in the fields of yoga, physical fitness, meditation, healthy living, mindfulness, goal setting, leadership development, and personal development
- Promoting sports events
- Promotion services to increase public awareness about the benefits of physical activity
- Providing master classes, online information, and workshops on yoga, healthy living, mindfulness, goal setting, etc.
Related: The steps to trademark a logo
Your signature movement
The wordmark ‘your signature movement‘ was registered in 2021 for use in the following categories:
- T-shirts, tank tops, headwear, leggings, leotards, visors, and other clothing
- Retail store services related to selling clothing, athletic accessories, and fitness equipment
- Promoting special events related to running, yoga, and physical fitness
What the fluff
‘What the fluff’ is the name of one of Lululemon’s outerwear brands. The wordmark was registered in 2016, following its first use in 2012. It’s registered for use in:
- Clothing, including outerwear like jackets, coats, parkas, mittens, and scarves
Live your practice
Lululemon trademarked the wordmark ‘live your practice’ in 2017. It’s registered for use in:
- Arranging professional workshops, training courses, and events related to pilates, meditation, and physical conditioning
- Educational services, exhibitions, and teaching events related to yoga and physical fitness
- Seminars and conferences on yoga, pilates, and other mind-body practices provide information in the fitness field
The trademark registration for ‘Sweat Collective’ was submitted in 2017. If the USPTO approves the application, it’ll apply to:
- T-shirts, skirts, tank tops, headwear, headbands, underwear, coats, vests, toques, warm-up suits, athletic wear, and other clothing
- Retail store services related to selling clothing
- Providing classes related to mind-body health, mindful living, meditation, physical fitness, information, instruction, and training in related fields
- Organizing community festivals featuring primarily yoga, exercise, healthy lifestyle, mindful living, and meditation, and entertainment services, namely, providing a website featuring audio and video presentations featuring instruction and training in the fields of meditation, mindful living, physical fitness, healthy lifestyle, yoga, and exercise
The trademark registration for ‘Mindfulosophy’ was submitted in 2017. The application is still pending, but if it’s approved it’ll apply to the following categories:
- Downloadable files, including images, text, and pictures
- T-shirts, tank tops, leggings, caps, hats, leotards, blindfolds, arm warmers, and other clothing
- Yoga mats, bags, and straps
- Retail store services, including clothing, headwear, bags, backpacks, and DVDs
- Providing classes related to meditation, mindful living, physical fitness, healthy living, yoga, and exercise
- Providing a website featuring audio and video presentations featuring instruction and training in meditation, mindful living, physical fitness, healthy lifestyle, yoga, and exercise
Live Your Potential
This is another pending application registered by Lululemon athletic in 2019. If approved, it will apply in the following categories:
- T-shirts, leggings, bras, bandanas, belts, hats, shawls, and other clothing
- Retail store services featuring clothing, yoga, athletic accessories, headwear, physical fitness, mindfulness, etc.
- Providing workshops, seminars, retreats, and education related to physical fitness, yoga philosophy, healthy living, etc.
Be All In
Lululemon’s brand ‘Be All In’ includes clothing, merchandise, and bags. The trademark registration was submitted in 2019 and, if approved, will apply to:
- Purses, pouches, beach bags, tote bags, protective bags, and other bags
- T-shirts, tank tops, leggings, bras, dance clothing, athletic wear, and other clothing
- Online and retail store services related to apparel, yoga equipment, bags, cosmetics, and more
- Retail services providing packaged food, drink, and household containers
- Online advertising and marketing services
- Providing master classes, workshops, seminars, and retreats related to yoga, physical fitness, yoga philosophy, mindfulness, and healthy living
- Arranging social community entertainment events featuring meditation, mindful living, fitness, lifestyle, yoga, exercise, clothing, and yoga accessories; organizing sports competitions; practical training education; presentation of live performances in the fields of yoga, sports, and music; health club services being health and fitness training
When you feel your best, you’ll perform your best
This slogan is often seen on Lululemons clothing; the trademark filing was submitted in 2020. The trademark office hasn’t approved this application yet, but if they do, it’ll apply in the following categories:
- T-shirts, headwear, shorts, skirts, dresses, and other clothing
- Retail store services, online store services related to selling clothing, yoga equipment, athletic equipment, bags, and cosmetics
- Providing a website related to information and online training advice
- Providing via a website non-downloadable audio and video presentations featuring information, instruction, and training in the fields of meditation, mindful living, fitness, lifestyle, yoga, and exercise
Science of Feel
This brand name is related to the fabrics that Lululemon Athletica Inc creates and registers. The ‘Science of Feel’ trademark registration was approved in 2022 in the following categories:
- Retail store services featuring clothing, headwear, yoga and athletic accessories, yoga equipment, athletic equipment, bags, and cosmetics; online retail store services featuring clothing, headwear, yoga and athletic accessories, yoga equipment, athletic equipment, bags, and cosmetics
- Services for promoting public awareness of the benefits of physical activity
- Providing online services and training related to yoga, meditation, self-awareness, and mindful living
- Athletic clothing, mitts, sportswear, tank tops, sweatshirts, plus other clothing
Lululemon Athletica is a multi-million dollar brand name, including vast intellectual property. Lululemon has an array of products and a unique brand to protect. Trademark protection is a crucial legal framework that allows you to protect your brand’s hard work and financial value. Lululemon’s brand is well protected, with more than 100 separate trademarks.