The Orlando Magic is a professional basketball team based in Orlando, Florida. The team was founded in 1989 as an expansion team in the National Basketball Association (NBA) and has been a member of the league ever since. The Magic play their home games at the Amway Center, which has been their home arena since 2010.
The team has had a number of successful seasons over the years, reaching the NBA Finals in 1995 and 2009. In 1995, they lost to the Houston Rockets, and in 2009 they lost to the Los Angeles Lakers. Despite these losses, the team has had a number of notable achievements, including winning the Eastern Conference Championship in 1995 and 2009 and making it to the playoffs numerous times.
Some of the notable players who have played for the Orlando Magic include Shaquille O’Neal, Penny Hardaway, Dwight Howard, and Tracy McGrady. O’Neal, who played for the Magic from 1992 to 1996, was a dominant force in the league and helped lead the team to the NBA Finals in 1995. Hardaway was a star point guard for the Magic from 1993 to 1999 and was a key player in their success during that time. Howard, who played for the Magic from 2004 to 2012, was a dominant center and was named the NBA Defensive Player of the Year three times while with the team. McGrady, who played for the Magic from 2000 to 2004, was a talented scoring guard and was named to the All-NBA First Team twice while with the team.
Overall, the Orlando Magic have had a long and successful history in the NBA, and have provided fans with exciting and competitive basketball over the years. With a talented roster and dedicated coaching staff, the Magic are poised to continue their success in the future.
Famous Orlando Magic trademarks
As a prominent team in the NBA, Orlando Magic is very recognizable and must protect its intellectual property. They have a unique history and brand and are worth more than $1.85 billion. Let’s take a look at some of the most well-known Orlando Magic trademarks.
The Orlando Magic team name is the most important piece of intellectual property and thus needs to be protected. This trademark (wordmark) was first registered in 1989 by Orlando Magic Ltd. and applies to:
- Clothing, namely T-shirts
- Organizing and promoting basketball competitions as part of a basketball league
Orlando Magic logo
The Orlando Magic logo features the colors black, white, gray, and blue. The logo is comprised of a flying basketball with a tail featuring stars. Above this is an arched inscription of the word “Magic” in light blue and outlined in white. Above, is the word “Orlando” which is smaller, solid black, and arched.
This trademark was first registered in 2011 and applies to:
- Entertainment and educational services in the nature of ongoing television and radio programs in the field of basketball and rendering live basketball games and basketball exhibitions
- Production and distribution of radio and television shows featuring basketball games, basketball events, and programs in the field of basketball
- Conducting and arranging basketball clinics and camps, and coaches clinics and camps
- Entertainment services in the nature of a personal appearance by a costumed mascot or dance team at basketball games and exhibitions
- Audio broadcasting, television broadcasting, and radio broadcasting programs in the field of basketball
- Audio and video recordings featuring entertainment and information in the field of basketball
- Publication and printed matter, such as trading cards, stationery, children’s books, activity books, statistical books, guide books, and reference books in the field of basketball
- Bags with varying purposes, such as athletics, shoes, overnight, backpacks, duffel, totes, beach, all-purpose sports, luggage, purses, and garment bags
- Umbrellas, wallets, briefcases, canes, key cases, leather key chains, suitcases, and trunks for traveling
- Pet clothing, pet leashes, and pet collars
- Clothing, such as T-shirts, shorts, sweatshirts, tank tops, pajamas, hats, caps, undergarments, jackets, coats, dresses, beachwear, swim caps, and sun visors
- Sporting goods, namely basketballs, playground balls, sports balls, rubber action balls and foam action balls, plastic balls for games, basketball nets, basketball backboards, and basketball kit comprised of a net and a whistle
- Toys and games, such as dolls, collectible dolls, toy action figures, jigsaw puzzles, toy building blocks, novelty foam toys, toy trophies, playing cards, card games, toy vehicles, and beach toys
- Pool accessories, such as swim floats, pool floats, toy water rafts, foam floats, swim rings, pool rings, foam rings, body boards, surfboards, swim fins, arm floats, and water wing swim aids for recreational use
- Christmas tree ornaments and Christmas stockings
- Retail store services, computerized online retail store services, online ordering services, electronic retail store services via computer
- Promoting the goods and services of others by arranging for sponsors to affiliate these goods and services with a basketball program
- Promoting the sale of goods and services of others through the distribution of promotional contests provided over the internet
- Conducting public opinion poll surveys and public opinion poll surveys in the field of basketball for non-business, non-marketing purposes over the internet
Read more: Trademarking a logo, step by step
Orlando Magic Youth Foundation
The Orlando Magic Youth Foundation is a non-profit organization that was established by the Orlando Magic professional basketball team in 1992. The foundation works to improve the lives of children and families in Central Florida through a variety of programs and initiatives, including education, health and wellness, and the arts. The foundation has raised millions of dollars through its various fundraising efforts and has made a significant impact on the community through its charitable work.
This trademark was first registered in 1995 and applies to:
- Fundraising for charitable and educational endeavors for youth and underprivileged youth
Magic Gaming is the NBA 2K League team of the Orlando Magic. The team competes in the NBA 2K League, which is a professional esports league featuring teams from the NBA. Magic Gaming was founded in 2018 and has competed in the league every year since its inception. The team is made up of skilled gamers who represent the Orlando Magic in the virtual world of NBA 2K, and they compete against other NBA 2K League teams from around the world.
This trademark was first registered in 2021 and applies to:
- Entertainment and educational services in the nature of arranging, organizing, and conducting electronic online game competitions, electronic game contests, electronic game tournaments, fantasy sports, and electronic game leagues
- Clothing, namely T-shirts, sweatshirts, all of the foregoing in connection with the field of basketball, electronic games, electronic sports, and virtual sports
- Broadcast and streaming of electronic gameplay and electronic game competitions over global communications networks, the internet, and wireless networks
- Web-casting services in the nature of providing online chat rooms and interactive discussion forums among participants in and players or fans of electronic games
- Providing a web-based system and online portal for customers to participate in online electronic games
- Operation and coordination of electronic game tournaments, fantasy sports, and electronic game leagues
- Production and distribution of webcasts, podcasts, internet shows featuring news highlights, video recordings, and video stream recordings of electronic game tournaments, entertainment exhibitions, sports competitions
- Providing online news, information, commentary, and strategy in the field of basketball, basketball electronic games, basketball electronic sports, and basketball virtual sports
- Providing news and information in the nature of statistics in the field of basketball, basketball electronic games, basketball electronic sports, and basketball virtual sports
Orlando Magic currently has 33 registered trademarks in its intellectual property portfolio. With a value of $1.85 million, continuing to protect the brand and image of the team, as well as other ventures, such as their philanthropic efforts, is vital, so we can expect to see Orlando Magic Ltd. continue to expand its IP portfolio.