Born Belcalis Marlenis Almánzar Cephus, but known professionally as “Cardi B”, she is an American rapper, entertainer, and social media personality. Born October 11th, 1992, Cardi B grew up in Washington Heights, New York. Her father was Dominican and her mother was Trinidadian of African and Spanish descent. She attended Renaissance High School for Musical Theater & Technology.
The rapper first gained popularity in 2013 through her social media channels where she would candidly discuss her life working as a stripper. From 2015 – 2017 she was a member on VH1’s reality television series Love & Hip Hop: New York, appearing as a regular cast member. Her first delve into music was in 2016 with the release of her mixtape, Gangsta Bitch Music, Vol 1.
Deciding to focus on her career in music, Cardi B debuted in other artists’ singles throughout 2017 and 2018, including the likes of Shaggy. In 2018, the rapper signed with Atlantic Records and released her debut single, “Bodak Yellow”, which reached No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in September, making her the first rapper to do so since 1998. Her long-awaited debut album, Invasion of Privacy was released in 2018 and reached number one on the U.S. Billboard 200 with the album receiving critical acclaim.
Since her album release, Cardi B has achieved great success, including many awards and records. These include “Best Rap Album Grammy” for Invasion of Privacy, 14 BET Hip Hop Awards, eight Billboard Music Awards, six American Music Awards, six Guinness World Records, and two ASCAP Songwriter of the Year awards as well as being listed as one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2018 by Time magazine. She also holds records for most number-one singles on the Billboard Hot 100 for a female rapper, the first and only female rapper to have multiple solo number ones, and most songs streamed on Spotify for a female rapper, with a billion streams.
Cardi B married an American rapper, known professionally as Offset from the rap group, Migos, in September 2017. They have two children together, their daughter, Kulture Kiari Cephus, born in July 2018 and their son, Wave Set Cephus born in September 2021.
Famous Cardi B Trademarks
Despite being an incredibly successful rap artist since 2018 with many awards and records to her name, Cardi B has only registered 17 trademarks with USPTO. Protecting her assets and IP by registering them as trademarks could save the artist millions of dollars and time in future legal battles, and protect her competitors from using similar wording or imagery. Let’s take a look at some of Cardi B’s most famous trademarks, registered by Washpoppin, Inc.
The first thing the rapper registered for a trademark was her professional name in 2016. This coincides with the release of her first mixtape in the same year. The artist has stated that her stage name, “Cardi B” comes from the alcoholic beverage, “Barcardi”. The character mark was officially registered for a trademark in 2018 and has been updated throughout the years to apply to:
- Entertainment services in the nature of live visual and audio performances by a reality star; entertainment services, namely, live, televised, and movie appearances by a professional entertainer
- (Pending) cosmetics; fragrances for personal use; perfumes; bath and body products, namely, body lotions, body creme, hand creme, bath and shower gel, and dusting powder; non-medicated skin care preparations; skin moisturizers; skin lotions; skin creams; skin cleansers; skin toners; facial scrub; body scrubs; non-medicated skin care preparations, namely, skin serums, skin masks, skin peels, facial balms, and body mist; facial oils; body oils; body powders; and hair care preparations
- Audio and video recordings featuring musical entertainment; digital media, namely, downloadable audio files and downloadable audio and video recordings featuring musical entertainment; downloadable musical sound recordings; downloadable video recordings featuring musical entertainment; musical sound recordings; musical video recordings; video recordings featuring musical entertainment
- Entertainment services in the nature of live musical performances; entertainment, namely, personal appearances by a musician; entertainment in the nature of visual and audio performances by a musical artist; entertainment services, namely, providing a website featuring non-downloadable musical performances, news, articles, reviews, photographs, other information and non-downloadable multi-media materials in the nature of photos and video clips relating to performing and recording musical artist; entertainment services, namely, providing non-downloadable pre-recorded music, information in the fields of music and entertainment, commentary and articles about music and entertainment, all online via a global computer network; providing non-downloadable digital music via a global communications network; fan club services
- Clothing, namely, tops as clothing, bottoms as clothing, shirts and hooded sweatshirts; clothing, namely, bibs for babies, not of paper; clothing, namely, one-piece garment for infants and toddlers; headwear
- (Pending) Toys, namely, plush toys, bath toys, and pet toys; dolls; doll clothing; modeled plastic toy figurines
“Bardi Gang” is the name given to Cardi B’s fanbase. The group has several social media pages where they discuss their appreciation of the artist and her music. However, recently in February 2022 Cardi B announced on Twitter that she was thinking of changing the name of her fanbase from “Bardi Gang” to “Slutties”. The rapper has yet to file a trademark for this name if she is changing it. “Bardi Gang” was filed for a trademark in 2020 and is still pending, but if granted will apply to:
- Clothing, namely, shirts, hooded sweatshirts; tops as clothing; bottoms as clothing; headwear; baby bibs not of paper; and one-piece garments for infants and toddlers
- Fan club services
Cardi B has registered her firstborn’s name as a trademark. This is a very popular move by celebrities as it ensures a third party doesn’t register the name themselves, therefore having a monopoly on it and preventing the original owner from using it. It also means that the owner of the trademark (usually the parent of the child) can gain income from trademarking the name and licensing products and merchandise under the mark to sell. Cardi B filed her daughter’s name, Kulture Kiari in 2020 for a trademark which is still pending. If granted, it will cover:
- Cosmetics; fragrances for personal use; perfumes; bath and body products, namely, body lotions, body creme, hand creme, bath and shower gel, and dusting powder; non-medicated skin care preparations; skin moisturizers; skin lotions; skin creams; skin cleansers; skin toners; facial scrub; body scrubs; non-medicated skin care preparations, namely, skin serums, skin masks, skin peels, facial balms, and body mist; facial oils; body oils; body powders; hair care preparations
- Jewelry, namely, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, and rings; costume jewelry; jewelry boxes and cases of precious metal
- Athletic bags; baby backpacks; backpacks; purses; cosmetic cases sold empty; diaper bags; duffel bags; fanny packs; handbags; toiletry bags sold empty; tote bags; travel bags
- Bed pillows and decorative pillows
- Fashion and basic bedding, namely, comforters, quilts, coverlets, duvet covers, bedspreads, bed canopies, bed skirts, sheets, blankets and throws, mattress pads, and shower curtains; fabric window coverings and treatments, namely, curtains, draperies, sheers, swags, and valances
- Clothing, namely, tops as clothing and bottoms as clothing; headwear and footwear
- Toys; games; action figures and accessories therefor; card games; collectible toy figures; dolls; doll accessories; doll playsets; electric action toys; jigsaw puzzles; mechanical toys; musical toys; parlor games; paper party favors; party games; playing cards; squeeze toys; talking toys; toy action figures and accessories therefor; toy figures
“WAP” is a song released in 2020 by Cardi B featuring the guest vocals of fellow American rapper, Megan Thee Stallion. The single was a huge hit, spending four weeks at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 and becoming the first number-one single on the inaugural Billboard Global 200. It’s the first female collaboration to debut as number one, had the largest opening streaming week for a song in U.S. history, and is certified 7x Platinum.
The song received widespread critical acclaim for its epitome of female empowerment, sexuality, and dominance in a male-dominated genre that is often criticized for its misogyny against women. Though some saw it as sex-positive, it was also chastised by many for its sexually explicit lyrics. The wordmark “WAP” was filed in 2020 and is still pending registration but if granted will apply to:
- 3-in-1 organic non-medicated soap bars for use as soap, shampoo and conditioner; cosmetics; body wash; cosmetics and cosmetic preparations; cosmetics and make-up; cosmetics in general, including perfumes; cosmetics in the form of milks, lotions and emulsions; cosmetics sold as an integral component of non-medicated skincare preparations; cosmetics, namely, lip primer; cosmetics, namely, lip repairers; dishwashing detergents; dishwashing preparations; lotions for cellulite reduction; lotions for cosmetic purposes; lotions for face and body care; massage creams; massage waxes; nail polish; nail polish base coat; nail polish pens; nail polish protector in the nature of a thin plastic covering applied to nails; nail polish remover; nail polish remover pens; nail polish top coat; nail polishing powder; nail care kits comprising nail polish; oils for cleaning purposes; oils for cosmetic purposes; oils for perfumes and scents; oils for toiletry purposes; shampoo-conditioners; vaginal washes for personal sanitary or deodorant purposes; wipes impregnated with a cleaning preparation; wipes impregnated with a skin cleanser; after shave lotions; after-shave lotions; after-sun gels; after-sun milks; after-sun oils; age retardant lotion; anti-aging moisturizers used as cosmetics; anti-static dryer sheets; aromatic oils; aromatic oils for the bath; aromatic essential oils; bar soap; bath cream; bath lotion; bath oils; bath oils for cosmetic purposes; bath powder; bathing lotions; beauty lotions; beauty soap; beauty care cosmetics; body cream; body lotion; body lotions; body oils; body and beauty care cosmetics; body mask lotion; collagen preparations for cosmetics purposes; colognes, perfumes and cosmetics; cosmetic massage creams; cosmetic oils; cosmetic oils for the epidermis; cosmetic preparations for removing gel nails, acrylic nails, and nail polish; cosmetic preparations, namely, firming lotions; cosmetic sun oils; decorative transfers for use as cosmetics; essential oils; essential oils of citron; essential oils of lemon; essential vegetable oils; eyebrow cosmetics; face and body lotions; face milk and lotions; facial cream; facial lotion; hair conditioner; hair lotion; hair shampoo; hair rinses; hair waving lotion; hand lotions; impregnated cleaning pads impregnated with cosmetics; incontinence wipes impregnated with cleansing preparations; lip cream; lip stains; make-up removing lotions; make-up removing milk, gel, lotions and creams; massage lotions; massage oils; moisturizing body lotions; nail cream; nail paint; nail primer; natural cosmetics; natural oils for cleaning purposes; night cream; non-medicated cosmetics; non-medicated foot lotions; non-medicated skin care preparations, namely, creams, lotions, gels, toners, cleaners and peels; non-medicated stimulating lotions for the skin; organic cosmetics; pads impregnated with nail polish remover; perfume oils; perfumed soap; perfumery, essential oils; pore tightening mask packs used as cosmetics; rinse agents for dishwashing machines; scented oils; scented body lotions and creams; self-tanning preparations; shaving cream; shaving lotion; shaving soap; skin cream; skin lotions; skin soap; skin and body topical lotions, creams and oils for cosmetic use; skin cleansing lotion; skin fresheners; skin moisturizers used as cosmetics; sun care lotions; sun tan lotion; tanning and after-sun milks, gels and oils; tanning gels; tanning milks; tanning oils; teeth whitening strips impregnated with teeth whitening preparations; temporary tattoo transfers for use as cosmetics; tissues impregnated with cosmetic lotions; toning lotion, for the face, body and hands; wipes impregnated with nail polish remover
- Sex toys; sex toys in the nature of edible underwear; sex dolls; electric massage appliances, namely, electric vibrating massager; love dolls
- Air fryers; coffee filters not of paper being part of electric coffee makers; grill accessories, namely, warming trays; microwave ovens for household purposes; bakers’ ovens; baking ovens; barbecue grills; barbecues and grills; ceiling fans; ceramic plates sold as parts of ovens; charcoal grills; clothes dryers; coffee roasting ovens; combination steam and convection ovens for cooking; convection ovens; cook- and hold- ovens; cooking ovens; domestic cooking ovens; electric appliances for making yogurt; electric coffee makers; electric fans; electric fans for personal use; electric fans with evaporative cooling devices; electric grills; electric panini presses; electric toasters; electric waffle irons; electric cooking ovens; electric dish dryers; electric dutch ovens; electric hair dryers; electric indoor grills; electric outdoor grills; electric panini grills; electric sandwich toasters; electric toaster ovens; electric window fans; fitted covers for barbecue grills; gas grills; gas cooking ovens; glass plates sold as parts of ovens; hair dryers; laundry centers, namely, a clothes dryer combined with a clothes washer; microwave ovens; microwave ovens for cooking; multi-purpose, electric countertop food preparation apparatus for cooking, baking, broiling, roasting, toasting, searing, browning, barbecuing and grilling food; portable electric fans; portable wood pellet grills; structural plates sold as parts of ovens; ventilating exhaust fans; wood fired ovens for cooking
- clothing, namely, shirts, t-shirts, sweatshirts, hooded sweatshirts, jackets, tops, bottoms, pants, and shorts; baby bibs not of paper; one-piece garments for infants and toddlers; headwear; footwear
- Beer; soft drinks; sports drinks; sports drinks, namely, energy drinks; sports drinks, namely, performance drinks; water beverages; club soda; fruit juice beverages; fruit juices; fruit juices and fruit drinks; mineral water; non-alcoholic beer; non-alcoholic fruit juice beverages; soft drinks, namely, sodas; spring water; vegetable juices
- Liquor and liqueur beverages, namely, vodka, rum, gin, distilled blue agave liquor, whiskey, bourbon, scotch, grape brandy distilled in the Cognac region of France in compliance with the laws and regulations of the French Government, and hard seltzer
- Stickers, posters
- Athletic bags; baby backpacks; backpacks; purses; cosmetic cases sold empty; diaper bags; duffel bags; fanny packs; handbags; toiletry bags sold empty; tote bags; travel bags; wallets; umbrellas; luggage; luggage tags; gym bags; garment bags for travel
- Jewelry, namely, bracelets, necklaces, earrings and rings; costume jewelry; jewelry boxes and cases of precious metal
Though the rapper has mentioned in interviews that she would like to venture into the world of beauty, cosmetics, and haircare (like many other artists), her team has not spoken publicly about the rapper’s plans to do so. However, fans and beauty media outlets were sent into a frenzy in April 2021 when it was discovered that Cardi B had trademarked “Bardi Beauty”, suggesting she was soon to bring out her own beauty line. The trademark for “Bardi Beauty” was filed in April 2021 and is still pending, but if granted will apply to:
- Cosmetics; fragrances for personal use; hair care preparations; non-medicated skin care preparations; nail polish; nail enamel
Cardi B is a very successful rapper, entertainer, and social media personality. She has been known in the zeitgeist since 2016 but her music career really took off after the release of her critically acclaimed debut album, Invasion of Privacy in 2018. The rapper has won several awards and has many records to her name.
However, Cardi B has registered surprisingly few trademarks. She has covered her stage name, fan base, single title, first child’s name, and upcoming beauty brand, but not much more than this. All of her trademarks are wordmarks, she hasn’t registered any logos, her second child’s name, her album titles, or anything else. Protecting her assets and IP with USPTO could save her from competitors using similar wording or branding. As an artist that’s worth $80 million, it’s worth making sure her assets are protected.