LeBron James is a professional basketball player who currently plays for the Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He is widely considered one of the greatest basketball players of all time and has achieved numerous accolades and accomplishments throughout his career.
Born in Akron, Ohio in 1984, James began playing basketball at a young age and quickly gained attention for his skills and athleticism on the court. He attended St. Vincent-St. Mary High School in Akron, where he led his team to three state championships and was named Ohio’s Mr. Basketball twice.
After high school, James decided to forgo college and enter the NBA directly. He was selected first overall in the 2003 NBA Draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers, and he quickly became one of the league’s brightest stars. During his time with the Cavaliers, James led the team to four NBA Finals appearances and won his first championship in 2016.
In addition to his success with the Cavaliers, James has also played for the Miami Heat and the Los Angeles Lakers. He won two championships with the Heat in 2012 and 2013, and he won his fourth championship with the Lakers in 2020. James has also been named NBA MVP (Most Valuable Player) four times and has been named to the All-NBA First Team a record 16 times.
In addition to his on-court accomplishments, James is also known for his philanthropy and community service. He has established a number of foundations and initiatives to help underprivileged children and communities, and he is actively involved in various charitable efforts. James is a role model and a leader on and off the court, and he continues to be a dominant force in the NBA.
Famous LeBron James trademarks
LeBron James has a number of registered trademarks, including his name, initials, and various slogans and logos associated with his LeBron James brand. He has also trademarked various products, including shoes, clothing, and accessories.
James has worked to protect and maintain the value of his brand, and he has used his trademarks to license and promote his products and services. James’ brand is known for its high-quality and innovative products, and it has become a successful and lucrative venture for the NBA star. Let’s take a look at some of James’ famous trademarks:
As a household name, trademarking the name “LeBron” is a vital first step in an intellectual property portfolio. The wordmark for “LeBron” was first registered in 2008 and applies to:
- All-purpose sports bags, backpacks, waist packs, and shoe bags for travel
- Apparel, such as shirts, pants, shorts, caps, hats, headbands, tank tops, T-shirts, pullovers, sweatshirts, sweaters, vests, warm-up suits, jackets, socks, and wristbands
- Sporting goods, namely basketballs
Further trademarks have been more recently filed and are pending application, and apply to:
- Digital media, such as downloadable digital assets, digital collectibles, digital tokens, and non-fungible tokens (NFTs) featuring virtual goods
- Downloadable virtual goods, namely computer programs featuring footwear, clothing, swimwear, headwear, bags, backpacks, sports equipment, sporting goods, toys, home furnishings, posters, trading cards, headphones, phones, video games, watches, jewelry, and accessories
- Computer programs featuring digital representations of the foregoing items
- Downloadable image files containing the foregoing items that are authenticated by non-fungible tokens (NFTs)
- Computer programs for the creating and trading of digital collectibles featuring basketball players, records, statistics, information, images, and experiences
- Downloadable digital media, namely digital collectibles in the nature of photos, images, and videos of basketball players and virtual experiences in the field of basketball
- Downloadable computer software for managing digital collectible services
- Provision of an online marketplace for buyers and sellers of downloadable digital products that are authenticated by non-fungible tokens (NFTs)
- Entertainment services, namely, providing online, non-downloadable virtual products for use in virtual environments created for entertainment purposes
- Providing a website featuring non-downloadable photographs and videos
- Organizing, conducting, and hosting events in the interactive entertainment, virtual reality, sports, and video game entertainment industries
- Virtual basketball courts, gyms, and recreational facilities for playing sports in the metaverse and virtual worlds
More Than An Athlete
“More Than An Athlete” is a trademarked slogan and movement created by LeBron James. The slogan is meant to highlight James’ identity and accomplishments beyond his role as a basketball player. It is meant to encourage others to recognize and celebrate their own identities and strengths, and to recognize that people are more than just their careers or professions.
The slogan has been used on a variety of products and merchandise, including clothing and accessories, and it has become a rallying cry for James and his supporters. James has used the movement to promote social and political activism, and he has encouraged others to use their platforms and voices to create positive change in the world.
This trademark was filed in 2018 and is still pending application but applies to:
- Entertainment services, namely providing a website featuring non-downloadable videos, podcasts, films, and social media posts in the field of sports
- Clothing, namely T-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, and jackets
There are multiple variations of this phrasing that have also been registered to apply to the above. These variations include:
- I Am More Than An Athlete
- I Am More
- More Than A Boxer
- More Than A Coach
- More Than A Dunker
- More Than A Fighter
- More Than A Number
- More Than A Player
- More Than A Point Guard
- More Than A Statistic
- More Than A Student Athlete
- More Than A Basketball
- More Than A Football Player
- More Than A Baby
- More Than A Vote
Strive 4 Greatness
“Strive 4 Greatness” is a trademarked slogan and brand. The slogan is meant to encourage and inspire individuals to strive for excellence and achieve their goals. It is often used in conjunction with James’ other brand, “I Am More Than An Athlete,” to emphasize the importance of personal growth and development beyond one’s career or profession. The Strive 4 Greatness brand includes a variety of products and merchandise, including clothing and accessories, and it has become a popular choice for those looking for inspiration and motivation.
There are multiple variations of this trademark, by format and spelling (changing the “4” for “four”, or “strive” or “striving”). This trademark was filed in 2022 and applies to:
- Non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and cryptographic tokens
- Minting, creation, promotion, and distribution of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and cryptographic tokens
- Consulting services in the field of minting, creation, promotion, and distribution of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and cryptographic tokens
- Marketing services
- Providing an online marketplace for buying and selling non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and digital assets
- Downloadable multimedia files containing artwork, text, audio, and video
- Clothing and apparel, namely, T-shirts, jerseys, tank tops, sweatpants, swimwear, sweaters, sweatshirts, jackets, vests, tops, wristbands, footwear, socks, hats, caps, and headbands
- Sports entertainment services, namely, providing a website featuring non-downloadable sports videos
- Entertainment services in the nature of ongoing television programs in the field of sports
- Entertainment media production services for motion pictures, television and internet videos, and internet films
LeBron James has used his trademarks, including “I Am More Than An Athlete” and “Strive 4 Greatness”, to build and maintain his brand image and monetary value. James has worked hard to protect and maintain the value of his brand, and he has used his trademarks to license and promote his products and services. With over 100 trademarks registered and filed, his brand is thoroughly protected but his continuing commercial efforts mean we can expect his portfolio to grow as his career continues.